Now Offering iPhone™ SDK Training in the UK
Basingstoke - United Kingdom
November 24th, 25th, and 26th, 2010 (3 Days)
GBP 1,250 (ex-VAT), 1,468.75 (including VAT)
Sign up now: +44 (0) 1256 808 110
We're pleased to bring an updated iPhone Developer Training Course to the UK, offering developers in the UK and Europe endless opportunities in this exciting, dynamic market. As the first company to run an iPhone development course in the UK (in December 2008) we'll again be presenting the courseware developed by About Objects, Inc. of the USA during the course in November 2010 in Basingstoke.
With the ever increasing market share of the iPhone globally and in the UK, this is an inspiring time for mobile platform developers and programmers. There are new opportunities for discussion, interaction, and learning about the platform, frameworks, tools and languages that are used to create applications for this platform.
The iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK) was released at the Apple World Wide Developers Conference in June 2008. Many resources and sessions were made available from Apple on the subject of iPhone development, but it was all covered under non-disclosure. With the lifting of the non-disclosure agreement in October 2008, numerous websites, forums and conferences have blossomed and the dialogue is now flowing.
Our course focuses on providing delegates with the most essential information needed to start programming for the iPhone, in a three day course, to be held in Basingstoke. The course objective is to enable delegates to become proficient users of the Software Development Kit and become part of this new community of developers. The course runs from November 24th, 2010.
Get to know the essentials of Objective-C and Cocoa Touch. Learn the tools, the libraries, the concepts, and the best ways to get things done, with plenty of hands-on exercises to reinforce it all.
Learn to use Xcode, Interface Builder, and the UIKit framework to develop iPhone applications that take full advantage of many of the powerful and sophisticated features of this amazing new platform.
- Learn basic and advanced features of Objective-C
- Get up to speed fast on Xcode and Interface Builder
- Discover time saving tips and techniques used by the pros
- Learn how to design, code, build, and debug iPhone applications
- Objective-C 2.0 Basics: Learn how to define classes and methods, allocate and deallocate objects, work with properties, and send messages at runtime.
- Xcode: Use Xcode to edit, build, and debug your iPhone applications and to manage project resources.
- Interface Builder: Use this world- class GUI tool to design your application's user interface, and learn how to connect it to your code, while unlocking the mysteries of File's Owner, First Responder, and more.
- Cocoa Touch Design Patterns: Accelerate your learning by discovering how Apple leverages Model-View-Controller and other key design patterns.
- Work with Table Views: Create data source and delegate methods to present and manage your application's data in table views.
- Manage Navigation: Learn to use Apple's navigation controller, tab bar controller, and other UIKit view components to implement navigation in your app.
- Handle Multi-Touch Gestures: Manage standard UI controls and custom components correctly in response to user input.
- Custom Drawing: Learn to use Core Graphics and Core Animation to customize UI components, display and manipulate images, and provide rich animation for graphical elements.
- Persist Application Data and UI State: Discover easy and efficient techniques for storing and retrieving information.
- System Events: You'll learn how to take advantage of the iPhone's built- in accelerometers and other system resources for accessing system events.
- Memory Management: Learn how to manage memory using retain counts and autorelease pools, while avoiding common pitfalls.
- Integrate with Core Services: Integrate your application with Address Book, Maps, Safari, Mail, and other iPhone apps and services.
- Design for Modularity: Take advantage of dynamic loading to reduce complexity, improve performance, and ease maintenance.
- Performance Monitoring and Debugging: Use Apple's Instruments utility and the GNU debugger (gdb) to isolate and fix problems and to eliminate hot spots and memory leaks.
Take this course if you are:
- An experienced C programmer (or have recently taken ANSI C Programming or the equivalent)
- Interested in learning Objective-C and the iPhone SDK to develop code for the iPhone platform
- You'll need the released version of the SDK that is not subject to NDA restrictions installed on your own laptop. We cannot discuss topics that are covered under any NDAs.
The course has been developed by About Objects, Inc., a premier IT training and consulting company headquartered in Reston, VA. USA.
In order to book a place on the course, there is a non-refundable fee of GBP 200.00 (ex-VAT), GBP 235.00 (including VAT). The remainder of the course fee must be paid prior to the course start date. This is a course material licence and reproduction fee. Even if you do not attend the course you will be entitled to your copy of the course material as a result of your payment of this fee.
Chris Walters started iPhone development in June 2008 and has substantial experience with the Cocoa toolkits and the Objective C language, having been a NeXTSTEP developer since the 1990s. Chris has also been working on commercial projects in Java using the Apple WebObjects and Enterprise Objects Foundation frameworks for over a decade.
Daniel Tull began creating iPhone applications in May 2008 after spending the last years of his Computer Science degree developing his projects for the Mac in Objective-C using Cocoa frameworks. He has since seen a multitude of applications through the design and development stages and onto the App Store, including ones for Sky, BBC and Tesco.
The address is:
St. Michael's Church Cottage
Basingstoke, Hants, RG21 7QW
St. Michael's Church Cottage is a close walk from Basingstoke town centre and the railway and bus stations. Please note that there is no parking available at this venue. Please see the map for detailed location.